Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 by Michael
Good magazine included Burlington’s Five Sisters on its list of five “of the nation’s (in)famous neighborhoods” (Spring 2010, p. 43). It’s a bit silly… the breakdown…
Five Sisters, Burlington, Vermont
- AKA: South End
- Archetypal architecture: Cap Cods, foursquares, stone bungalows, lots of porches
- Preferred community event: appreciating nature
- Claim to fame: beards, color-changing leaves
- Notable residents: Ted Bundy, Howard Dean (or, the Five Sisters environs)
- Kindred spirit: Whitaker, Eugene, Oregon; all of Boulder, Colorado
Also, in “What’s in a Name?” on page 48…
Named because the five main streets in the area — Catherine, Caroline, Margaret, Charlotte, and Marian — were named for the daughters of the developer.
Not true, if I recall from past Front Porch Forum postings. But fun, nonetheless.